Sunday, May 23, 2010

An Orchard A Day

We have all heard the term an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but that phrase does not apply to us this week. We are at orchard status! And for all of my good friends reading this who think they have heard the whole story...keep reading there is more!

It all started on Thursday. I went to the dentist for a tooth that was bothering me. They took an x-ray and said I for sure needed a root canal and sent me off to the endodontist that same day. I arrived at the endodontist who took his own x-ray and he informed me that I for sure did not need an x-ray and sent me on my way. I am glad I did not need a root canal but I wasted an entire day at the dentist and now have to go back next week again to get my problem fixed which they now think is just a broken tooth.

Then Friday hit. Charlie left to go out of town for the week. Logan's little face was looking terrible. It reminded me much of when Ethan was a tiny baby and got his first round of eczema. I knew it was more than infant acne but the doctor assured me that was all it was and to not treat it with anything. By Saturday it looked like I had dropped a bottle of acid on his face. He was miserable so I started to treat it on my own with aquaphor and hydrocortisone cream. Within 24 hours his face was almost completely cleared up. So much for listening to the doctor!

On Saturday night I was hit with a major UTI and by Sunday I was in a ton of pain and everyone I knew was at church. The pain was so bad I started calling neighbors but no one was home so I just had to wait it out until my friends could help. Two angels showed up finally and took my kids so I could run to the urgent care. I got all my medication and headed home hoping to not return...boy was I wrong!

Tuesday night Morgan came down from bed crying about her ear and continued to scream in pain for 2 hours. This is after I had given her all the medication I could and tried to calm her down with chocolate, a movie, warm compress, and a back rub. Nothing would work. So I called our home teacher to come give her a blessing. He arrived with another friend who just happens to be our doctor as well and he called in a prescription for her since he thought she had an ear infection.

So Wednesday...I was up first thing to the pharmacy to pick up her medication. At this point I was thinking the craziness had to be over. Wrong again. By Wednesday afternoon Morgan's eyes were swelling shut, bright red, and oozing green crap down her cheeks. I called her doctor who informed me that they would not be able to get her in until next week and my only option was to take her to urgent care. What! Urgent care! Not again! So...back in the car again...back to drop off all the kids at my 3rd angels home and back to urgent care.

We found out that she has some bacterial infection called haemophilus! They now have her on 2 oral antibiotics and another one for her eyes.

At this point it was Thursday and Charlie got home. HOORAY! I managed to survive one of the longest 6 days of my life. Now for sure things must get better right? WRONG!

Sam woke up on Friday with a 102 fever and the tell tale barking cough of croup. If you have never had a child with croup before it is not fun at all. Usually it can clear up on it's own so we thought we would just keep an eye on him and see how he did.

Currently Charlie is on his way to Urgent care for trip number 3 this week! My little man is miserable and having a very difficult time breathing. We hope they give him the steroids he needs to help his little airway open up.

As if that was not all enough, Charlie has to go to the hospital tomorrow for and endoscopy because he can't swallow and I have my 6 week baby check-up on Wednesday.

So....over the last 10 days we will have gone to the doctor 8 times!!!! And that is if no one else manages to get sick and at this point the odds are not in our favor.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that we are at the tail end of all this illness. It has proven to be a very difficult week or so and throw in a new baby and no sleep and 5 kids to all of it and I am pretty much exhausted. I am forever and always thankful to my amazing friends who jump in and help when I really need them. When one of the doctors asked if I had family who could help I paused for a moment and thought and my answer was YES. We have made our own little family out here and I don't know what I would do without them.

7 comments:

cher said...

How. How could there have been more?? I just talked to you on Friday!! Give little Sam a hug for for me. I love that kid... even if he does just cuddle with me cause he's scared. : )

See you in 2 1/2 weeks!!!

Company EIGHT said...

An orchard? I think you need every apple in America. :)

Stephanie Lowe said...

I can't believe there is more!!! CrAzY!!!

Melissa said...

I was thinking the same thing as Cher!!! I was just with you on Friday! I was going to call you tonight and the day was already gone. I didn't even realize Sam was sick on Friday. I hope you sleep really well tonight.

Erica said...

oh brook. it all sounds just terrible. i'm grateful charlie is home now to help - you are one amazing woman - i'm so sorry i couldn't be there to help. call me if you need anything !!!

bradget said...

Good gravy - what an ordeal! I'll knock on wood for you that you've got all your medical crises out of the way for the year.

Jedda said...

I'm going to have to deliver some special apples to you guys. That's got to be a record!